The University Church of the Assumption (Egyetemi Kisboldogasszony-templom) in downtown district V has just been unveiled in its new splendour after long-term renovation.

The church, and the adjacent monastery, were built by the Paulines. Construction of the monastery began in 1715, and the foundation stone of the church was laid in 1725. The construction was led by Mátyás Drenker, András Mayerhoffer and then Master Márton Siegl, and the first Mass was held in 1742. The towers were duly completed in 1768 and 1771. In 1786, after the dissolution of the Pauline order, the church became the property of Péter Pázmány University, and from 1803 onward it was the joint church of the University, and the Central Institute for Priestly Education (Központi Papnevelő Intézet).

The renovation was carried out thanks to more than 1 billion forints of state support and began in May 2019. During the works, the copper cladding of the tower was cleaned and repaired, the sculptures restored and the sacristy renovated. The floor cladding was replaced and the heating and electrical system was upgraded.