An eyesore in the pretty Trefort Garden where generations of ELTE university students have gathered to gossip between lectures, the former Institute of Physiology will now be renovated with new halls and a roof terrace.
This building, designed by Antal Szkalnitzky also responsible for the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, has been empty since 2008. It was originally built for the Institute of Physiology, and completed in 1873. Eminent scientist, Baron Loránd Eötvös, even conducted a number of experiments here.
From 1948, the Institute of Medical Chemistry operated here, then the Faculty of Humanities moved in.
For the renovation and conversion works, a main entrance worthy of this listed building and a new hall will be created using the space of the inner courtyards. The lecture hall will house 119 students, while an eco-friendly terrace will cover 200 square metres across the roof.