If you don’t speak Hungarian but want to visit the cinema in Budapest, it can be difficult to find out which films are showing in English. Luckily, there are many cinemas and film clubs screening newly released films and classic flicks with English subtitles and/or with the original audio. Each month we share some movies to check out, with links to the show times too, so you’ll know exactly which cinema to head to and when. All you need do is grab some popcorn!

Beautiful Boy

Nicolas Sheff seems to have it all: good grades, an actor, artist, athlete and editor of the school newspaper. When Nic's addiction to crystal meth threatens to destroy him, his father does whatever he can to save his son and family. Based on the best-selling pair of memoirs by father and son David and Nic Sheff.

The film screens with original English audio and Hungarian subtitles at Cinema City Allee and Aréna. More details

Destroyer

Destroyer follows the moral and existential odyssey of LAPD detective Erin Bell who, as a young cop, was placed undercover with a gang in the California desert with tragic results. When its leader re-emerges many years later, she must work her way back through the remaining members and into her own shared history to finally reckon with the demons that destroyed her past.

Glass

M. Night Shyamalan connects his two previous films, Unbreakable and Split in Glass. From Unbreakable, Bruce Willis returns as David Dunn as does Samuel L. Jackson as Elijah Price, known also by his pseudonym Mr. Glass. Joining from Split are James McAvoy, reprising his role as Kevin Wendell Crumb and the multiple identities who reside within, and Anya Taylor-Joy as Casey Cooke, the only captive to survive an encounter with The Beast. Following the conclusion of Split, Glass finds Dunn pursuing Crumb's superhuman figure of The Beast in a series of escalating encounters, while the shadowy presence of Price emerges as an orchestrator who holds secrets critical to both men.

The film screens with original English audio and Hungarian subtitles at Cinema City Allee, Aréna and WestEnd. More details

Kursk

The film follows the K-141 Kursk submarine disaster in 2000 and the governmental negligence that followed. As the sailors fight for survival, their families desperately battle political obstacles and impossible odds to save them.

Mary Queen of Scots

Queen of France at 16 and widowed at 18, Mary defies pressure to remarry. Instead, she returns to her native Scotland to reclaim her rightful throne. But Scotland and England fall under the rule of the domineering Elizabeth I. For each young queen, the other represents fear and fascination. Rivals in power and in love, female regents in a masculine world, the two must decide how to play the game of marriage versus independence. Determined to rule more than act as a figurehead, Mary asserts her claim to the English throne, threatening Elizabeth’s sovereignty. Betrayal, rebellion and conspiracies within each court imperil both thrones – and change the course of history.

The film screens with original English audio and Hungarian subtitles at Cinema City Allee, Aréna, Campona and WestEnd, as well as at art-house cinemas and the Corvin.

The Mule

Broke, alone and facing foreclosure on his business, 90-year-old horticulturist Earl Stone (Clint Eastwood) takes a job as a drug courier for a Mexican cartel. His immediate success leads to easy money and a larger shipment that soon draws the attention of hardball DEA agent Colin Bates (Bradley Cooper). When Earl's past mistakes start to weigh heavily on his conscience, he must decide whether to right those wrongs before law enforcement and cartel thugs catch up with him.

The film screens with original English audio and Hungarian subtitles at Cinema City Allee, Aréna, Campona and WestEnd as well as at the Corvin Cinema.

Serenity

Baker Dill (Matthew McConaughey) is the captain of a fishing boat who takes tours round the tranquil enclave of Plymouth Island. His peaceful life is soon shattered when his ex-wife Karen (Anne Hathaway) tracks him down. Desperate for help, Karen begs Baker to save her – and their young son –  from her abusive husband. She wants him to take the brute out for a fishing excursion – then throw him overboard to the sharks. Thrust back into a life he wanted to forget, Baker now finds himself struggling to choose between right and wrong.

Finnish Film Days
https://vimeo.com/232008234?fbclid=IwAR3fFTVDovEJdGP-QNXkqheuOip3sNek7sWBcYxrn9uX84MB8UiaqtyN8vc

Budapest’s annual Finnish Film Days festival runs from 6 to 10 February at the Toldi Cinema. With ten screenings, a communal sauna and a heavy-metal concert, the event aims to showcase the essential elements of Finnish culture and cinema. According to curator András Horváth, this year´s schedule consists of movies with all sorts of rhythms and themes, so that everybody can find one to suit their taste. Scandinavian cinema is often bitter and bizarre, but it can also be witty, fun and full of life. All movies are in Finnish, and subtitled in English and Hungarian unless otherwise indicated. For more information, see the official website or the cinema’s screening schedule.