The Várkert Bazaar is a restored neo-Renaissance complex on the side of Castle Hill that overlooks the Buda riverfront at the foot of the Royal Palace. It was built between 1875 and 1883 according to the plans of one of Hungary’s most celebrated architects, Miklós Ybl. Originally an arcade of boutiques, the building suffered severe damage during World War II before it became the Youth Park, where Hungary’s most famous pop and rock bands played from the 1960s to the 1980s. Closed in 1984, the Várkert Bazaar became neglected, and was even marked for demolition. Renovated in 2014, this lofty series of promenades today houses a cultural space with exhibition areas, a neo-Renaissance flower garden, a park and a cinema. It also provides access to the Royal Palace by escalator.