According to the legend, the ground opened up under a peacefully grazing sheep in the summer of 1904. From this point on, the nearly 20-kilometre-long cave became available for exploring and making foot traffic in the Buda Hills. According to the history of Pál-völgyi Cave, it was once populated by not only researchers and people fleeing from bombing, but also by bats, elephants and crocodiles – although the latter few are mere stalagmite formations. The largest metropolitan cave awaits its visitors with cool temperatures and excellent acoustics all year, from the Színház-terem (“Theater Hall”) to the dripstones of Meseország (“Fairyland”), in a roughly half-kilometer section, which can be visited without any special equipment, and is conveniently equipped with electric lighting.