This slender white cable bridge connects the city centre with Gellért Hill. Elizabeth Bridge (Erzsébet híd) is named after Habsburg Empress Elisabeth, wife of Franz Josef. Revered by Hungarians, she was assassinated around the time construction began in 1898. Destroyed during World War II, Elizabeth Bridge wasn’t rebuilt until 20 years later, in 1964. The new version, designed by Pál Sávoly, is wider than the original, and suspension technology replaced the earlier chains. Once cracks began to show, the bridge was no longer used by trams from 1973 onwards.