One of the first public parks of the world, Városliget (also referred to as City Park) was the central venue of the millennial celebrations of 1896. Contrary to beliefs, it is not the largest park in Budapest (the title goes to Népliget), but it is certainly the most lovable one, because it is family-, sports-, and pet friendly. Now there is also a bird-watching educational path and garden found here, where we can occasionally even spot the little residents of Városliget near their nests and feeders. The renaissance theater-like building of Széchenyi Bath is the perfect destination if we want to spend the day in thermal water, while the Zoo and the Circus both await children with various exciting programs. During the summer, we can take a boat and row on the Városliget Lake, and then have a burger at Pántlika. The pond is turned into an ice-rink in the winter, and after skating, we can have a warm drink at Városliget Café. The Museum of Fine Arts and the Kunsthalle on the opposite sides of Heroes’s Square provide entertainment for the lovers of arts.
Update: Due to renovation works, some venues, such as the Hungarian Museum of Science, Technology and Transport, the Museum of Fine Arts, Holnemvolt Park, as well as other small locations are temporarily closed until about 2018.
- FINA Championships venue guide for Budapest and Lake Balaton
- Budapest’s new City Park pavilions are built with historic plans
- Events Horizon: what’s happening in Budapest – May 2017
- See plans for Budapest’s FINA Championship pools in City Park
- Events Horizon: what’s happening in Budapest – September 2016
- The past, present, and possible future of Budapest’s City Park
- A new open-air exhibition transcends time in Budapest’s City Park
- Events Horizon: what’s happening in Budapest – May 2016
- Budapest to the Future: city development plans in 2016 and beyond
- 6 splendid swimming spots for dogs in Budapest
- 6 spots in Budapest for outdoor wine sipping
- The most pleasant lakes in Budapest for spring chill sessions
- The best skateparks in Budapest
- Outdoor sports in Budapest
- Budapest park muster – Mega compilation + map
- Budapest sightseeing from a different angle
- Wet ‘n Wild in Budapest
- Summer places for skating in Budapest
- A park and an island…
- Budapest 2015: a look at the HUGE changes expected in the city this year
- Big plans for City Park, but just what will become of this historic green space?
- Budapest’s Zöld Küllő is a serene new scene in City Park