City guide

Rumbach Sebestyén utca Synagogue (temporarily closed)

Rumbach Sebestyén Street Synagogue

Under long-term renovation, the synagogue in Rumbach Sebestyén utca was built in the same Moorish style as its larger nearby counterpart, the Great Synagogue, at the end of the street. It was built between 1869 and 1872 according to the plans of Viennese architect Otto Wagner. Two minaret-like, domed towers rise over the symmetrical façade, whose centre is decorated with double-framed windows and the two stone tablets. The greyish yellow plastering is decorated with strips of red bricks and blue enamel bricks. The octagonal interior is topped by a high and ornate dome, with eight slender iron columns and Moorish-style Alhambra capitals. On the walls, you can find gold, blue and red embossments.

The building was destroyed during World War II and has not been used for religious purposes since 1959. Its rebuilding has lasted for more than a decade – once it’s ready, plans call for the opening of the Együttélés Háza (‘House of Coexistence’) museum.