When talking about the Kisföldalatti (Millennium Underground), it is always highlighted that this was the first metro line of continental Europe, the second one in the world, and that it was finished for Hungary’s Millennial jubilee in 1896. The most surprising part of this story is that it took only 21 months to finish the line, which wasn’t drilled – they simply opened up the road above it (Andrássy Avenue today), and when they finished the construction work they replaced the road. Originally the stations had very fancy entryways above the surface, and the stops were covered with Zsolnay tiles below. For 70 years the Kisföldalatti operated with a British-style left-hand traffic order, and only switched sides during its renovation and extension in 1970. This is how the line with its 11 stops between Vörösmarty Square and Mexikói Road was formed. Andrássy Avenue and the Millennium Underground were recognized together as a World Heritage Site in 2002.
From the station at Deák Ferenc Square, visitors are welcome at the Underground Railway Museum, which occupies an abandoned section of the tracks with vintage metro cars, telling the history of Budapest’s groundbreaking Millennium Underground.