Margit híd (Margaret Bridge)
Margaret Bridge is the second permanent bridge of Budapest; it connects the southern tip of Margaret Island with Buda and the Grand Boulevard. The 607.6-netre bridge was designed by Frenchman Ernest Gouin and built from the tolls collected on Chain Bridge. It was opened in 1876, with the branch off to the island added in 1900. A horsecar used to run across the bridge, with rails on the side of the road. On 4 November 1944, the Pest-side section exploded for unknown reasons when a tram passed through, and many died. It was reconstructed in harmony with its 1933 form.
In 2011, a partial renovation of the bridge included the addition of new railings, decoration lights and the construction of a bike path.