Corinthia Hotel Budapest
The Corinthia is a 21st-century rebuild of the original Royal Hotel opened here on Budapest’s Grand Boulevard in 1896, coinciding with the Hungarian Millennial celebrations that year. When it was being planned, in the 1870s, this part of Pest was still relatively empty – construction of the Royal coincided with the opening of Andrássy út and the Grand Boulevard, two main avenues that cross nearby. That same opening year, the Lumière Brothers came here to present the first showing in Budapest of moving pictures, and the hotel would go on to have a long association with film. The city’s first cinema was also set up here, and during World War I, locals would come and see newsreel films of the conflict.
A fire destroyed much of the original hotel in 1956 and when it reopened in 1961, it comprised 367 guestrooms. Overshadowed by the high-end hotels opening on the Danube Promenade, the Royal fell into neglect and disrepair. The Malta-based Corinthia group then took on the huge job of restoring and expanding this grand dame, which extends over two buildings to incorporate an outstanding spa complex in the basement (its pool a copy of the 1896 original), the top-quality Bock Bistro restaurant and the equally impressive Caviar & Bull eatery. The magnificent ballroom has also been restored.
The list of famous guests would fill a book – a display in the extensive lobby area shows many a star of stage and screen, Josephine Baker inspiring the Corinthia’s signature raspberry and chocolate confectionery.
- Explore the 121-year history of Budapest’s deluxe Corinthia Hotel
- Checking In: Budapest hotel news and deals – Spring 2017
- Enjoy thematic Sunday brunches at the Corinthia Hotel Budapest
- Events Horizon: what’s happening in Budapest – March 2017
- Events Horizon: what’s happening in Budapest – February 2017
- 3 places to celebrate Chinese New Year 2017 in Budapest
- Events Horizon: what’s happening in Budapest – October 2016
- Where to watch European Football Championship matches in Budapest
- Brunch Time: fine Budapest feasts for Easter and springtime 2016
- Checking In: Budapest hotel news and deals – Winter 2016
- 9 fine Christmas-season brunch destinations around Budapest
- 9 fine dog-friendly hotels in Budapest
- Brunch Time: enjoy Easter feasts at these fine Budapest eateries
- Brunch Time: Budapest’s very best holiday-season feasts
- Budapest’s best places to watch the World Cup
- Relax in Budapest!
- Wellness Hotels
- Wellness Hotels
- Historical Hotels
- The real Grand Budapest Hotel
- Ferenc Liszt in the Grand Hotel – a visit to the Corinthia’s presidential suite