Neighbouring Gellért Bath, hiding in one of the hollows of Gellért Hill is the Cave Church. It was built in 1931 as a sacred place for the Order of Saint Paul, here they keep the order’s most important relic – the cannon-bone of Saint Paul. At first they held sermons in the open air, on the rock terrace, and so this is where the name “Cave Church” comes from. The statue of Our Lady of Lourdes in the church reminds us that the inspiration comes from Lourdes in southern France. The walls give an atmosphere of something ancient. It is also interesting that the temperature of the church is always around 20 degrees, as a result of nearby warm water springs. The church can be visited any time (with respect to mass times), and a great white cross marks where it is.
|PHONE :||+36207752472 |