Being staged at Budapest's Erkel Theater, George Gershwin's renowned opera piece Porgy and Bess was last presented at the Hungarian State Opera 35 years ago. Dating back to 1935, this opera in three acts presents the lives of inhabitants of an African-American community in Charleston, South Carolina, through the love story of a crippled beggar and a drug-addicted woman. Their passion for each other comes alive through such popular and sentimental songs as Summertime and I Got Plenty O’ Nuttin’.
The performance takes place at the Erkel Theater on four nights during the current season. The show runs in English with Hungarian and English surtitles. For ticket information, visit this website.
- 27th January 2018 6pm (sold out)
- 28th January 2018 6pm
- 1st February 2018 6pm
- 8th February 2018 6pm
- Conductor István Dénes
- Porgy Marcell Bakonyi / András Palerdi
- Bess Orsolya Sáfár / Gabriella Létay Kiss
- By George Gershwin, DuBose and Dorothy Heyward, and Ira Gershwin
- Director András Almási-Tóth