City guide

See free English-language comedy in Budapest

Photo : Rupert Slade Facebook

Much-travelled UK comic Rupert Slade is giving two free shows in Budapest this week with fellow stand-up acts from around the world. We caught up with the long-term expat and mirth-maker as he was preparing for his performance at Auróra tomorrow, Tuesday 23 July.

Involved in English-language stand-up in Budapest for several years, UK comic Rupert Slade is on a roll. This one-time finalist at the city’s Gift of the Gab comedy competition is performing twice this week in his adopted city.

Photo: Rupert Slade Facebook

“There’s quite a buzz to the stand-up comedy scene in Budapest these days,” said Rupert, nephew of a renowned writer of post-war musicals in the UK, Julian Slade. “It’s a nice dynamic, very grass-roots and very international. Although it’s still quite raw, the performers are getting more professional. I used to run a music venue in the UK in the 1980s and it reminds me a bit of that – you can watch how people improve on stage.”

AuróraPhoto: Norbert Hartyányi / We Love Budapest

On Tuesday night, 23 July, Rupert takes part in Stand-Up Budapest!, which celebrates its first anniversary at Auróra in District VIII. He then joins comedians from India, Ghana and Argentina for Stand-Up Night vol.2 at Neverland on Wednesday. Stand-Up Night vol.1 recently proved a great success, attracting a full house. Admission to these events is free.

Photo: Rupert Slade Facebook

For his shows this week, Rupert will have a slot of around 15 minutes, in which his alter ego, the Expat from Hell, takes over, “an exaggerated version of some of the people I’ve met”.

 

According to Rupert: “About 30% of the English-language comics on the scene are Hungarian, the other 70% are a complete international mix. And not that many Brits, actually”.

Photo: Rupert Slade Facebook

“It would be nice to get to the stage when there are paid-for shows in town three or four nights a month,” said Rupert, whose other regular venue is the House Bar & Kitchen on Nagymező utca. “There’s no reason why that can’t happen.”

 

Rupert Slade

Stand-Up Budapest!

Auróra

District VIII. Auróra utca 11

Tue 23 July, 7.30pm-9.30pm

Admission: free

 

 

Stand-Up Night vol.2

Neverland

District VII. Dohány utca 22-24

Wed 24 July, 8pm-10pm

Admission: free