The Liberty Bridge (Szabadság híd) was opened for the Millennial celebrations of 1896; the last silver rivet on the Pest abutment was inserted into the iron structure by Emperor Franz Jospeh himself. This is commemorated by a plaque at the abutment in question. The bridge was built between 1894 and1896 and spans 333.6 metres. It connects the two banks of Danube between the Corvinus University of Budapest in Pest and the Budapest University of Technology and Economics in Buda. It would remain standing even with the middle section removed. Szabadság Bridge was the first bridge rebuilt after WW2, it was reopened to traffic in 1946.