Keleti Railway Station is one of the busiest, and therefore also one of the most important railway stations of Budapest, since almost all international and InterCity trains arrive here. Keleti, designed by Gyula Rochlitz, was handed over to the public in 1884, and the eclectic building has been a trademark of the VIII. district ever since.
The statues of George Stephenson, the creator of the first steam locomotive, and James Watt, who perfected the steam engine, muster the busy crowd from the façade of the 16800 m² building every day. The beauty of the renovated façade can only be surpassed by the cashier’s room, which was opened in the year of the reconstruction, and is decorated with the frescoes of Károly Lotz and Mór Than.
Keleti has numerous secrets in store, as well: few people know that in 1940, a train rolled out to Baross Square because of a brake failure, or that the four statues below the clock are few-year-old copies, since the original ones disappeared without a trace in 1935.