The slender, white cable bridge, the Elizabeth Bridge (Erzsébet híd) connects downtown Pest with the Gellért Hill. The bridge was name after Elizabeth of Bavaria, the popular queen who was assassinated around the time the construction works began. It was finished in 1903. In World War II, all the bridges of Budapest were destroyed, including the Elizabeth Bridge. It was rebuilt in a slightly modified version 1964. The new bridge, designed by Pál Sávoly, is wider than the original, and a suspension bridge technology replaced the earlier chain bridge technology.